Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Ruins I have Known



I begin this blog assignment at the end of our class. It is more natural for me to look at ruins and try to image what was once there than to analyze whole buildings.


This is not the photo I originally planned on using for my first picture of a ruin. This is one taken at a field school in Antigua from the summer of 2004. They're actually all standing around a grave we had to pick-ax our way to. You can barely seen the remnants of the mausoleum, with the slab of stone in the right front part of the picture of of the grave stones.




The picture on the left is from Tulum, Mexico. It has been restored to what archaeologists think it originally looked like. On some walls, you can see the remnants of red paint. It was difficult to take a picture, both because I had very little film left and the tourists were all over the place. Very controlled place, almost archaeological Disney. It was very pretty though.
This final picture is one of the many parking lots around Arts Center MARTA station. There is no clear evidence about what it was before it became a parking lot. It is not especially well-cared for. There are vines growing all over the place. This place tells me little about the history of this area. Not pretty, not tourist-related, not archaeological, but still a ruin.

No comments: